Guilty Feet…. A Carepage Post

Posted Jul 21, 2009 2:04am

Hello there family, friends, fans & followers of Rosario…

It’s Danny here… I’m sitting here with the beloved Rosario… it’s been awhile since I’ve written an update and certain members of the family are all over me about writing an update as I am privy to certain details of Rosario’s daily life, especially since she has been staying with me since Wednesday evening, the 15th.

Yes, slight change of venue. Why is she with me now? Well, in spite of the stellar care she was receiving at her last home, I was getting very jealous and decided to kidnap her so that I could wake up every 4 hours during the night to give her medicine…

… this new location works better for everyone, especially me, as it turns out, because I have no job or life to speak of ( unlike everyone else out here) so I can be there for her 24/7 if needed. Also, being the lazy person that I am.. now, instead of driving all the way to Manal’s to see my friend… all I have to do is take a few steps… it saves gas and the environment… and that’s how we do it out here in Cali.

OK, what has been going on in the last few days…

Well we’ve had some downs but also many ups!

A few nights ago Rosario had a very difficult night.. She had pain, nausea, knots in her back and felt like she had to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes, so needless to say she got very little sleep. We had to figure out what was causing the troubles…

See, last week she was on a full dose of pain meds… 15 ml of lortab elixir (liquid mixture of codine & ibuprofen) every 4 hours. When I picked up the original prescription on Thursday the 9th, it was written for 4 bottles… we had trouble finding a pharmacy that had it in stock… when I finally found one they told us that they had to call the doctor… it is now about 10 at night and the hospital sent her home with no medicine, as they assumed that we would have no problem finding it… so it’s time for her to take her pain meds and I am 8 miles away waiting for the pharmacy to comply… well they said that they couldn’t get ahold of the doctor so they would give us one bottle (about a 5 or 6 day supply) to tide us over until they could speak to the doctor and that I could come back for the rest on Monday or Tuesday… OY! OK… as long as I have something to take her…. fine…

Fast forward to Monday … I call to arrange to pick up the remaining three bottles… they tell me that the doctor said he now only wants her to have the one bottle that she already has and if we need more we’ll have to contact him. Here we go…

So we were trying to figure out what to do in the event that we wouldn’t be granted anymore pain meds. Rosario decided to go on rations and began taking only 7.5 ml … and only 3 times a day! Needless to say she was in a lot of pain!

Well Thursday the 16th, she had a follow up appointment, which Maggie told you about in an earlier post. The doctors reassured us that she needed to be on pain meds so she could get through her daily activities, otherwise she wouldn’t be able to do them at all, and her muscles could atrophy. So… we got another bottle prescribed and were determined to keep her on a regular schedule of pain meds so she could be as active as possible.

So, naturally, we went right back to the 15 ml every four hours routine… well in spite of feeling well that day, and going , on her own power, to the doctor’s appointment.. she had a rough night!

As I said above, she was sick and didn’t get much sleep… AND she was still in a lot of pain. huh??? She also told me that when she was able to doze off she was having terrible nightmares that she was being pulled into an abyss… I felt so helpless… it was tearing me up that I couldn’t comfort her…

The only thing that helped was when we prayed and asked St. Philomena to intercede. She finally dozed off… I continued to pray the rosary…. after that she drifted off to sleep and slept pretty well in the morning to make up for the night…

So the next day I did some reading and thought that it might be a reaction to the actual pain meds… so Rosario decided to attempt 10ml every 4 hours… I told her that I felt confident that this would help…

So we started on that track… and she had a really good day, in spite of the rough night… she did her walking and breathing exercises and ate pretty well considering. In the evening she also had visitors… Manal, Tiffany, Julia and Gavin all stopped by to cheer her up… she was very lively up to about 10:30pm then she just said , “I’m really tired, sorry” and nodded off to sleep. That night she slept 10 hours!!! Waking only for the 4 hour intervals to get her medicine. No extra trips to the bathroom, no nightmares, no nausea! Praise God!

That brings us to Saturday the 18th… Rosario did her walking & breathing exercises as usual, and Maggie came by with some fresh mashed potatoes and gravy… and as if that wasn’t enough she helped Rose take a shower. She was sooo happy to get showered up… and since she was clean why not put on some make up???? So that’s what Rose did! And since you are clean and in makeup… why not get dressed an hit the town… and so she did… well kind of… we went to a monthly event at church that we both usually serve. This time we were just in the crowd… We walked in during adoration and many people spotted her and just had to run up to see her… some of them smiling huge smiles, some , their jaws agape in awe, and the rest were smiling big smiles With their jaws agape! So we sat in the last pew… Rose really can’t get in a kneeling position as much as she would have liked to… As soon as we sat down we were confronted with the presence of Christ and Brother David’s beautiful voice… this was an unexpected emotional moment for Rose! It seems like a no brainer but we weren’t thinking about it… we were to busy getting ready and getting her there to worry about how we would feel when we got there… in fact we forgot to bring tissues… big mistake 🙂
Rose said, “It was my first time in adoration since the incident and I just felt like… “I’m alive!!!… and I’m at (name of event)!!!!!” Now normally I would be the one crying, but since Rose started first I figured I would just let her and save mine for later…
So she got to see Br. David, who was very emotional when he saw Rosario and didn’t really know what to say. He just kept saying how much everyone was praying and he was kissing her hand with tears in his eyes..

Then many more friends came over to just see the miracle that is Rose, all beaming with gratitude. We waited for Fr. Darren to finish up a confession to say hello… he came to the car and chatted with Rose telling her how grateful he was and that he had offered mass for her the moment he found out.

Well, it turns out that after such a full day it was a very good thing that she got such a good night’s sleep the night before and when we got her home she was ready for meds and beds.

Saturday night was also a good night’s sleep and Sunday was a relatively good day. Once again, Rose got all dolled up and allowed me to accompany her to evening mass… We saw more friends (They never seem to run out with Rose) and she was able to sit through the whole mass and afterward was able to chat with some friends…

On the way home, we were trying to think of things that Rosario might eat (she has a problem with her appetite and would love for all of you to pray for that) so she said she might like some orange chicken… I pretty much ran out the door…”I’m on it!” I am always excited when she has a taste for anything, as she rarely does… you know how little she eats normally? well, that’s nothing compared to lately… but she tries very hard to get her nutrition as she knows it is important for her healing…. and I try to gently but firmly convince, trick, fool, connive and humor her into eating more… every now and then I’ll pull out some old school guilt… “You know Rose, there are children all over the world who would love to be eating that chicken, and you’re just letting go to waste (clucks tongue)” 😉

So we had orange Chicken and fried rice and then our friends Phillip and Marianne came by with a cake that Marianne had made and Philip and Marianne sang happy birthday to me (Which was on the 7th) it was very nice… Rose said she couldn’t sing to me last night, but interestingly enough had no problem singing along with “Singing Bee” on TV tonight, so she must be healing fast! (The previous sentence was me giving Rose crap as she reads along with what I am writing … but it’s also true.)

The cake was great, but Rose , as you may know, doesn’t eat cake… whatever.. more for me… it was delicious as all of Marianne’s dishes are!

SO last night we had another bumble… the 10ml every 4 hours seems to be right on the money but last night she woke around 1:50a and needed to go to the bathroom, so we both went back to sleep and proceeded to sleep all the way to 7:00am… good for sleeping, but bad for medicine taking… we somehow missed the 3:30 med time! She woke up with in severe pain and could barley move… so we gave her her meds at 7. We basically skipped a med time… not sure how because we set alarms… maybe we didn’t hear the alarm… not sure… but she did get a lot of sleep and got back on track throughout the day. She did her walking (around the inner courtyard balcony of my apartment building) and her breathing exercises… and in the evening AnaMaria came by to bring cards, visit and help her bathe (apparently I’m not allowed to do that… whatever! 😉 ) So once again she was clean and feeling relaxed. After all her hard work and ups and down I rewarded her by renting a Pay per view movie ( i told you I was lazy). Now she’s kicked back in my recliner eating a popsicle and reading mail from her adoring fans!

She has ups and downs and will continue to do so. She has emotional days and non emotional days. In the first couple of weeks she had no trouble talking about the details of “the incident” … she could talk about them very matter of fact, however recently, she has become very sensitive to talking about it as it causes her to relive the event over and over. I myself have had to adjust as one of the ways I cope is to just call it out and say it a lot… I’ve had to amend that in recent days. We had to pause the movie tonight and fast forward past the violent part, even though it was done in a comical way. So FYI, be sensitive, she is going through a new phase in all of this…

Some highlights…

Rose washed a spoon! … I think that she is actually better at this now than she was before the incident!
She can get in and out of bed by herself..
She can do a lot of stuff, she just does it slower and in more pain…
she applies her own makeup… when she does this the pain seems to disappear 🙂
She actually was able to do a slow sway dance with me.. oh … I was singing that song “Careless Whisper… “I’m never gonna dance again.. ” She snapped, “Don’t sing that!” as if she’s in danger of that… which she is not… I told her, “You have nothing to worry about… ‘GUILTY FEET have got no rhythm’… you don’t have guilty feet… so… you’re good” (I hope someone gets that) 🙂
She had her first Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce Latte, which she nursed over three days…
Rose spoke to her brother Charles and almost died laughing!
She did a three way ichat with Ceci on one end and Mom, Jeffrey, Angie, and Rita on the other… look for posted photo.
She smiles a LOT!!! And laughs a LOT … mostly AT me… not WITH me…
Sometimes Rose is still effected by the anesthesia… she forgets things. what Ceci calls “Brain clouds” Rose has now jokingly started calling “gun shot brain’ I prefer to call it “having a 9 millimeter moment.” 🙂 She has definitely kept all of her sense of humor through all of this!


Posted By Danny


Leave a comment

Filed under Recovery

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s